The DesInstaller is a simple tool that reads the receipts generated when you install a pkg file with Apple's Installer. Every file installed by this package is removed, even if it has been modified, and archived if you ask the DesInstaller to. If you decide to use a reinstaller, you will get a tar archive, for portability, and a shell script with a "command" extension, to be double clickable. Please be aware that even if the reinstalller does not actually care about its position when invoked, the two parts (the tar archive and the term shell script) are both needed in the same folder.Please note that the DesInstaller was started as a cocoa tutorial, so this means everything is very "classical", and that is not highly evolved.
DesInstaller may not be OpenSource right now, but it is, and will remain, free. There are several reasons for that:
On the other hand, I totally support the idea of charityware, and cardware. If you like this program, please feel free to send donations, greetings, thanks, or whatever nice thing you would be willing to send me. If you did not like it for some reason, you may send useful bug reports (though it was fully tested), maybe a bad word or two, but remember it is free software, and I did not force you to use it (see the little disclaimer).
A little disclaimer, because this is a dangerous program:
I wrote this software, and included as many "undo" possibilities as possible, but should not be granted any responsibilities in loss/destruction/failure of all or part of any data that belongs to you or any other people. Use this software at your own risk. You have been warned.
- Miki for the graphics and the help compilation
- Nicolas for the mental debugging (though he may not know about it)
- Everyone who daily bares me
- Apple for the computers and the OS
New on March 19th:
- fixed a "refreshing" bug
- added a completion alert
- several performance improvements: the app will not hang for huge packages anymore
- german translation by Adrian Vogt
- gzipped DMG release
New on April 2nd:
- added "Open Package..." to select a package anywhere on your disk
- added "Check Package Before Installation..." to make a backup of your existing files before they get replaced (this is to prevent the update uninstallation problem, and an idea of Mike Bombich)
- added "Change Receits Root..." to check receits in another folder
- feature requests added (all of them ;)
- various bug fixes and improvements (copy-paste and alerts mostly)
New on August 8th:
- this is version 2.0 folks :)
- the major backstage improvement is a segmentation process to handle really huge packages.
- the major functionnality improvement is the batch queue.
- the major user improvement is the interface.
New on August 13th:
- various bug fixes
- implemented a few user features
Please fill this survey to help me improving the software!
Read the documentation here
You can get the software as a DMG disk image or as a gunzipped DMG
Nicolas Zinovieff (email@example.com)
4 allée Berlioz
94800 Villejuif FRANCE
Bugs Ξ Info